What are Skin Peels?
All facial peels remove a top layer of skin to exfoliate and speed up your cell turnover, but some remove more than others, depending on the type of face peel you decide to try. All skin peels involve applying a chemical or natural solution to your face to expedite the exfoliation process.
At Carbon Blush we offer a range of different strength acid skin peels to cater to different skin types and conditions. These include lactic, glycolic, salicylic and trichloroacetic (TCA) acid peels. Peels are used to improve patient outcomes for a range of skin conditions including ageing skin, photo damage, pigmentation, melasma, open pores, active acne and acne scarring.
Skin peels effectively exfoliate damaged stratum corneum (uppermost skin layers) and induce skin cell regeneration, collagen and elastin production, resulting in a smoother and more flawless skin. Dead skin cells are scuffed away where bacteria can harbour for acne sufferers and smooths dry, crepey skin which enhances fine lines and wrinkles.
– – –
- Obagi Blue Radiance Peel [MEDIUM] – £115
- Dr Levy Pro Peel [MEDIUM] – £140
- Transform TCA Peel [STRONG] – £350
- Instaglow Facial [WEAK] – £125
- Dr Levy Illuminate Facial [WEAK] – £350
Types of Skin Peels Available:
OBAGI BLUE RADIANCE PEEL [MEDIUM] (£115)The active ingredient of this clearing and brightening peel is Salicylic Acid. Salicylic Acid is an oil-soluble ingredient, meaning it penetrates deeply into the pores to decongest and improve your overall complexion. It targets the problem at its origin with its ant-bacterial and clearing functions.
This peel has been specially formulated by Obagi to improve skin texture after just 1 treatment with little downtime. It has the ability to treat concerns like Fine lines and wrinkles, Rough, uneven skins, Blemishes and Mild to moderate photo-ageing.
To attain the best level of tightness, smoothing and brightness, a course of 4-6 is recommended.
** TREATMENT TIME: 1 HOUR 15 MINS **
DR LEVY PRO PEEL [MEDIUM] (£140)This peel gifts the skin with a fresh and radiant glow. Eradicate dull complexions using this Dr Levy based regenerative peel.
The exfoliating action is powered by three components: the AHA and BHA blend from fruits and flowers, the stabilised pomegranate enzyme and the 10% natural (and biodegradable!) cellulose micro-beads. These work alongside Dr Levy’s Nobel prize winning, stem cell technology that has proven ageing is reversible.
This peel works to dissolve the bonds between dead skin cells and renew, promoting even texture and soft skin. It’s also enriched with ultra-concentrated probiotics to help fortify skin’s acid mantle. Hyaluronic acid encourages healthy hydration and retention while aloe vera and vitamin B5 soothe. The perfect peel for those wanting visibly dewy, youthful and beautifully soft skin.
** TREATMENT TIME: 1 HOUR 15 MINS **
TRANSFORM TCA PEEL [STRONG] (£350)The TCA Peel is an advanced level skin peel combining TCA (trichloroacetic acid), Lactic and Salicylic Acid to penetrate the deepest layers of your skin. It gently dissolves the top layer of the skin (stratum corneum), revealing fresh, new skin cells underneath, leaving your skin soft and smooth with flaws visibly improved.
It aids in combatting fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation and scars as the new collagen plumps them up. Its intense nature makes it less suitable for sensitive skin and downtime is required for at least a week to allow skins recovery.
** TREATMENT TIME: 1 HOUR 30 MINS **
INSTAGLOW FACIAL [WEAK] (£125)A facial that leaves you with a glow worth sharing! This facial combines the Dr Levy Pro Peel, Dermaplaning and LED Light Therapy as well as steaming, cleansing and exfoliating to rejuvenate the skin.
Close your eyes and relax as we diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improve skin texture and promote penetration of leading skincare products. Harnessing a Nobel Prize-winning discovery – that ageing is reversible – Dr. Levy’s skin care is phenomenal; proven to revitalise the dermal stem cells that create essential collagen for smoother, firmer, stronger skin. The exfoliating action of the Pro Peel is powered by three components: the AHA and BHA blend from fruits and flowers, the stabilised pomegranate enzyme and the 10% natural (and biodegradable) cellulose micro-beads.
Working to dissolve the bonds between dead skin cells and lift detritus, this peel helps to promote an even texture and reveal soft-to-the-touch skin. It’s also enriched with ultra-concentrated probiotics to help fortify your skin’s acid mantle; hyaluronic acid to encourage healthy hydration and retention; aloe vera and vitamin B5 to soothe.
Coupled with Dermaplaning and LED Light Therapy, your skin will appear visibly dewy, youthful and feel beautifully soft.
** TREATMENT TIME: 1 HOUR 15 MINS **
DR LEVY ILLUMINATE FACIAL [WEAK] (£350)This treatment begins by opening and clearing the pores for refreshed skin using steaming and exfoliation methods. Dr Levy's 3Deep Cleanser utilises a blend of glycolic and lactic acids that slough away build up of dead skin cells, dirt, bacteria and pollutants, while organic rice extracts physically polish to refine skin texture. Sodium PCA restores plumpness and firmness to the skin as well as boosting moisture levels.
Following this the Dr Levy Pro Peel is enriched with ultra-concentrated probiotics to help fortify your skin’s acid mantle. Hyaluronic acid encourages healthy hydration and retention alongside aloe vera and vitamin B5 for soothing the skin.
Next up we use a facial roller harnessing microcurrent technology that firms and tightens the complexion. It also improves facial contour and texture, providing targeted treatment around the eyes, forehead and mouth to tackle crows feet and droopiness. This perfect paired with a blast of HIFU ultrasound energy to encourage the production of collagen, which results in firmer skin.
Finally, LED Light Therapy uses a combination of blue & red light to stimulate collagen production, combat redness and acne, as well as reducing signs of ageing.
Your skin will be left feeling dewy, youthful and beautifully soft!
** TREATMENT TIME: 1 HOUR **
- Excellent anti-ageing treatment
- Improves your skin’s look, texture and tone immediately after treatment
- Improves skin elasticity
- Encourages collagen production
- Smooths out open pores
- Reduces scarring
- Evens out skin tone and improves texture
- Suitable for treating darker skin tones with pigment problems
- No downtime for light peels
- Face, neck, chest, back, arms, hands
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Open pores
- Sun damage
- Acne scarring
- Dull, lifeless skin
- Rough skin
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure to the face and tanning beds 1 week prior to treatment as well wearing SPF50 daily.
- Do not use topical agents that may increase the sensitivity of your skin such as retinoids, exfoliants, topical antibiotics or acids 2 weeks prior to your treatment. This will help the level of irritation your skin experiences.
- Wait at least 2 weeks since your last chemical peel or microdermabrasion treatment to help avoid over exfoliation and subsequent irritation of your skin.
- No waxing, depilatory creams, electrolysis or abrasive treatments to the area being treated 5-7 days prior to your treatment.
- Avoid the use of artificial tanning products on your face.
- We recommend that if you are planning to receive anti-wrinkle or dermal filler injections, there is a 2 week gap between treatments.
- Do not shave 48 hours prior to your treatment.
- Avoid IPL/Laser procedures for at least 2 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Avoid treatment during periods of inflamed, active acne or when open sores and wounds are present.
- If you’re prone to cold sores, you can take antiviral medication for 2 days prior to the day of the treatment to reduce the chance of a breakout.
- The best way to arrive at your appointment is without makeup.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and remove any makeup very gently, no exfoliators or highly potent active ingredients (e.g. retinol, salicylic acid) for 24 hours after treatment
- Avoid makeup for approximately 24 hours post-treatment.
- Avoid all sun exposure for 1 weeks and ensure you always wear an SPF.
- Keep your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- For those having a deeper/stronger peel, you may need to elongate the above timings to aid skins’ recovery
What is a skin peel?
A peel is a solution/mixture applied to the face to remove dead skin cells and stimulate the growth of new cells. The aim is to improve the appearance of the skin – for example stimulating collagen production. This helps to improve hyperpigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles, texture and skin impurities. How much skin a peel removes and how deep it penetrates will depend on the type of peel used, its strength and how long it is left to activate.
What are the different levels of peels and their effects?
There are 3 types of peels – superficial, medium and deep.These have varying percentages of active ingredients and different pH levels. The percentage indicates how much of the peeling agent is contained in a peel. So a 10% glycolic acid has less glycolic acid than a 30% glycolic acid peel. It is a common misconception that the depth and strength of a peel depends on the percentage of the active peel ingredients but, in fact, it is determined by the pH level. The lower the pH, the deeper the peel.
- skin cells are removed from the top layer of skin (epidermis)
- the solution is applied to the skin and left on for a few minutes
- your skin may feel tight for a couple of hours afterwards
- skin cells are removed from the top and middle layers of skin
- the solution is applied and left on for a few minutes
- you may feel burning or stinging when it’s on your face
- your skin may go brown or red for a few days afterwards
- it can take up to 4 weeks for your skin to return to normal
- affect the deeper layers of skin
- anaesthetic cream may be needed to numb any pain
- the solution is applied to the face and can be left on for 30 minutes or more
- you’ll have some peeling, redness and discomfort for a few days
- swelling can last up to 2 weeks, and redness can last up to 3 months
- often lightens the skin so it’s not really suitable for darker skin
What are the benefits of professional peels?
There are many benefits to receiving a chemical peel. Not only do chemical peels reveal a brighter, smoother and more refined complexion, they also improve the overall look and feel of the skin in just one treatment. Other benefits of receiving a chemical peel include:
- Improving the skin’s colour, clarity, tone and texture
- Stimulating new collagen and healthy skin cell growth, resulting in a radiant complexion
- Reducing pigmentation caused by sun damage
- Helping to clear up breakouts
- Helping to smooth away the look of fine lines and wrinkles
- Enabling home care products to be more effective because a peel can remove several layers of skin build-up and congestion, allowing products to penetrate deeper into the skin
- For long-term results, we recommend a series of 3-6 peels, spaced around 5 weeks apart. The benefit of receiving a series of peels is that this treatment will be able to target the deeper layers of the epidermis, giving your skin an enhanced exfoliation. This type of deep exfoliation can stimulate cellular turnover and focus on skin concerns which are less superficial.
Are there any pre-treatment and post-treatment care instructions?
Yes! Please refer to our protocols section for more information.
Peels can re-surface skin you're worried about anywhere on your body!
The skin that grows back after a chemical peel is smoother and younger looking. They can treat wrinkles, skin discolouration and scars anywhere you are concerned about.
“I can highly recommend Carbon Blush – I have been coming here for some time now for facial peels and always have the most wonderful experience. Everything is of the highest standard – the results of the facials are amazing, the clinic itself is a beautiful haven and Anna and Daniella are so lovely and welcoming. Really can’t fault anything!”
“Daniella has done so many treatments for me such as laser, skin peels and also make up. The lady’s that work here are so professional! I would highly recommend carbon blush“
“After years of suffering with my skin I finally found a groupon for a face peel and I plucked up the courage to go and have this treatment done. I was really nervous and the lovely Daniella takes me through the process and made me feel so at ease. It has been the best thing I had and after having many treatments my skin looks and feel amazing. Daniella is there every step of be way and if I need assistance or advice she is there. I can’t praise this clinic enough. They are all so lovely and friendly and make you feel so welcome. I’m not 100% finished with my treatment and will continue there after for others. The whole process from start to the aftercare has been truly amazing!”
“Lovely place, had obagi blue chemical peel and facial,therapist was lovely, charming and explained to be clearly and precisely what the treatment involved and how to care for me skin afterwards! Skin looked noticeably refreshes and revitalised, Thank-you!”
“My first visit to Carbon Blush today and WOW. Such a beautiful pretty salon. The staff are so welcoming and friendly. I had booked a Dr Levy Face Peel followed by a LED Light Therapy Facial. Relaxing on a very comfortable bed in one of the treatment rooms Amy started my treatment. She explained everything she was going to do first and I soon relaxed into it. Her method is sooo calming it was a struggle to keep myself awake. I actually didn’t want it to stop. My skin feels amazing. So so soft and literally glowing. I will be back.”
“I had an amazing skin peel with Daniella. She was kind, attentive and my skin feels / looks amazing. 10 out of 10, would go again. Thank you Carbon Blush!”
“Beautiful setting and a brilliant peel and facial! Ladies in there are so lovely and friendly and made me feel really welcome. Thanks ladies see you soon”
“After my Obagi skin peel this morning I feel so pleased I chose to visit Carbon Blush– the ladies are so lovely and make you feel so comfortable. I will definitely be recommending them to my friends. Thank you”
“I had a chemical peel yesterday and loved it. Anna was delightful and I am definitely going back.”
“Had a Obagi face peel this morning. Skin feels great and Daniella was very professional and friendly. Will definitely be going back for more treatments!”
“Had a chemical peel with the wonderful Daniella – I will be back very soon”
A facial is essentially a multi-step skin treatment that is one of the best ways to take care of your...
CACI Microcurrent Facial
CACI microcurrent facial toning is the most advanced multifunctional neck and facial toning system...
Anti-wrinkle injections are administered by qualified practitioners. They’re used to relax the...